Friday 27 September 2013

Survey results

From my survey I have received 100 responses. I made sure to get 100+ responses as I knew this would give me accurate results. This survey is very important as it counts towards my primary research. Moreover, this allows me to understand who my target audience are and what they like in a clothing advert.


My first question:

What is your gender?

Male4444%
Female5656%











From this question, I have found out that just over half of my target audience are females. This is what I expected, however many more males answered my survey than I thought. Consequently, I think that I will have both males and females in my advert as there isn't a big difference between the percentages of males and females and this makes it equal. It is very important to know which gender you're targeting as if you were targeting males then the advert would be more masculine and the whole setting would be completely different to a female clothing advert.


My second question

How old are you?

15-215757%
22-281313%
29-351313%
36-451010%
46+77%










This is an important factor to consider when creating and making my advert as I need to know how old my audience are because this will have an impact on my language used and how I present my product. If my target audience were old people for example, I would make the advert less modern and more sophisticated. However, from this, I have learnt that 57% of my target audience are 15-21. This means I will have to make my advert more focused on the latest fashion and It will be more modernised. Moreover, instead of using formal language, I may use colloquial language and some slang instead to further engage my audience.This also means I will have to take into consideration the models I use as they will have to be within that age range. It will have to be more engaging as the younger the target audience, the more it takes to catch their attention. Although all the other ages have fairly low percentages, I will also partially consider how I can also engage them as well as the younger target audience.

My third question:

What is your ethnicity?

This question was also necessary to ask as I didn't know if I was going to be targeting Asian people mostly, or Black British, or White British etc. As they all may have different taste and may like different things. However, from my survey results I found that 90% were White British. Consequently, I will mostly try to engage British people, although I won't completely rule out targeting other ethnicities. In my advert, I think I will not only include models that are White British but I will also include other ethnicities. This will help to increase the amount of people that I am targeting and will create diversity.


My fourth question:


What is your occupation?

I asked this question as it would tell me my target audience regarding social status. This would allow me to understand which type of clothing to advertise and how to structure the advert as well as design the layout. If  I was targeting a high social class then I would probably make the advert more sophisticated  with a simple background and the clothing would probably be quite expensive. However, if I was targeting a low social class, the clothing would be more affordable and I would make the advert more informal. I received many different answers such as 'Brick layer', 'Jo Malone stylist', 'Secretary' and 'Air hostess.'   These jobs all range in salary. What's more, is that around 60% of people that answered my survey were students. Taking this into account, I need to make sure my online clothing website advert will attract all classes. However, I will mainly make the clothing affordable and the advert will be more young and modern as students are usually young.

My fifth question and sixth questions:



These two questions are vital for my research as they allow me to recognise how many people shop online and why some people don't shop online. This means that I can change things to persuade more people to shop online. The most important answers I received for why people don't shop online, are that the delivery is too expensive and that the clothes may not fit properly.Therefore, I will aim to make delivery cheaper and more affordable as well as trying to come up with something that will persuade people to become more brave with ordering things online that might not fit properly. 

My seventh question:

This question was important as it enabled me to understand why people like shopping online. Knowing why people like shopping online will allow me to include things in my advert that people like and this will engage the audience. For example, a few people have said that they like the wide variety of choice online and this will be made clear in my advert. Moreover, everything that people have said they like about shopping online will be emphasised in my advert to encourage my target audience to buy my products. This is necessary as it's important to keep the people who do shop online engaged in the advert, as well as trying to persuade and encourage people that don't shop online to start.

My eighth question:

If you don't shop online, what would make you want to start shopping online?

reduced price would be nice free delivery might persuade me 10% off or more on first order Free delivery is the ideal. nothin !! - pizza free naked models free item on first order free delivery and more sales free delivery Free delivery nothinn cheap clothes i like paying extra for levis reduced prices on clothing Probably free deliveryCheap clothing uptown girl I do socks available on app for my iphone I don't have a computer and I got banned from the library because the librarian thought I was stealing a book when I wanted to borrow it. It said you can borrow books so I walked out. Being a standard size 12

Although this is similar to the question 'if you don't shop online then why?' This question actually enables me to find out what would persuade people to start. These answers were really interesting and many of these answers had 'free delivery.' This is something I will have to take into consideration when creating my advert. Moreover, this links into my target audience of students as they may not be able to afford expensive delivery prices. Another answer was discount on the first order which is something I should also take into consideration. This question has allowed me to understand how to persuade people to buy clothing from my website.

My ninth question:

Are there any particular types of clothing that you wouldn't order online?

anything that is REALLY expensive no Underwear Shoes I don't know, why so many questions? Trousers, in particular jeans, because it's quite important to try wast. No shirts heelsExpensive items as wouldn't want to risk getting the wrong size. Pants . Trousers, coats my butchers coat, i like it to be fitted nicely incase any nice young men come in to get meat ;-) - Clothing that varies in sizes. Suit jackets, I have a wide back Jeans and shoes Something that's really expensive jeans or shorts because I need to try things like that on shoes as i need to try them oni wouldnt buy my false eyelashes online as i like to get them done by my beautitian, cheryl she gives me a good deal as we are besties love ya chzza!! shout out!!!! Jeans/trousers dresses i dont like ordering my smart ties online hm,,,, No nothing cos its too expense shirts/smart expensive clothing nothing shorts Jeans, shoes ermm no school uniform haha ! wellington boots Expensive items because there would be a risk of them not fitting. none Nope shoes jeans *) shoes Bras because I need to try them on.Expensive to make sure that they fit right. Jeans and Dresses Shoes because you can't Always tell whether they are wide or narrow jeans and bras Jeans jeans probably tight fitting dressBras socks from rob kardashians arthur george a tight dress nope underwear any of it  sandals Jeans & shoes - have to try lots of pairs on to get right fit! The kids shoes! Their feet grow so quickly I can't keep up! Crocs jeans It depends on the website jeaANS  Top hats, my head is uniquely small Shoes

I included this question in my survey as this informed me on what sorts of clothing to not really advertise as much as many people wouldn't purchase it online. The most prominent answers included 'Expensive clothing' as people may want to make sure they like it and it fits well before they purchase it and 'jeans' and 'shoes' were also answers that came up regularly. Therefore, I will make sure that I focus more on showing other clothing such as tops, leggings, dresses, jumpers, etc as if most of my advert was focused on jeans and shoes people may not be as engaged as they don't like to order jeans online.

My tenth question:

This is one of the most important questions I asked in the survey as it tells me what people notice the most and from this I can perfect it so it attracts my target audience. The things that people said they notice the most are the models used (38%) and the clothing. (34%) Since there is only 4% between these two I need to make sure I think carefully about both of these features so I can engage the audience. I found it very interesting that most people said they notice the models the most because most adverts aim to sell a lifestyle or an attitude rather than the actual clothing and this is evident in the survey. I will have to carefully select the models I use in order to attract the right target audience. However, I will not ignore the fact that the other features are also very important. (The music, the background setting and the prices shown if any) These all add together to make a good, engaging advert. Consequently, I will have to put a lot of thought into the designing and making of my advert.


Overall the survey has really helped me grasp a better understanding of who my target audience are and what they expect from an online clothing advert. Moreover, this has contributed greatly to my primary research and I now feel that I have a wider and more in depth understanding of online clothing adverts and the normal codes and conventions.





No comments:

Post a Comment